It is a process in which we rub the metal surface with a hard tool by applying sufficient pressure. This leads to the plastic deformation of the surface materials which flattens the metal surface. This process produces a good surface finish. It can produce a surface finish of 0.05 to 0.2 μ Ra in one pass at a feed rate of 1500-3000 mm/minute.
Types of burnishing tools:
- Internal diameter burnishing tool.
- External diameter burnishing tool.
- Taper burnishing tool.
- Face burnishing tool.
Advantages of burnishing:
- Finer finish in one pass.
- Improved sizing.
- Attachable to any standard machine tool.
- Longer tool life.
- No operator skill is required
- Reduced noise level.
- Faster production rate.