Concept of ecosystem:
Ecology: It is that branch of science which deals with the relationship between the biotic and abiotic components of an ecosystem as well as the inter-relationship of the individuals of the biotic components.
The basic principle of ecology is that everything depends on every other thing for its existence or survival. The biotic and abiotic components of nature are not only inter related to each other but both these components function in an orderly manner in a definite system.
Aspects of ecology:
- Habitat ecology: It deals with various habitats of various species. There are four prominent habitats i.e forest ecosystem, desert ecosystem, grassland ecosystem (all terrestrial type of ecosystems) and aquatic ecosystem.
- Palaeo ecology
- Cypo ecology
- Resource ecology: It deals with proper management of soil, water, mineral resources for human welfare.
- Radiation ecology: It deals with various radioactive substances, their impact and applications in the environment.
- Production ecology: It deals with net rate of production of organic matter in various ecosystems.
- Marine ecology:It deals with the study of oceans.
- Estuarine ecology: It is the study of lakes, ponds, estuary (It is a water body where fresh water and saline water meet together).
- Limnology: It is the study of fresh water ecology.
- Terrestrial ecology: It deals with land based ecosystems. Eg. Grassland, forest and desert ecosystems.