Greenhouse effect

Environmental Studies

Greenhouse effect:

The short wavelengths of visible light from the sun are absorbed by the medium but the larger wavelengths of infrared radiation could not be absorbed and results in heating the surface. Example of such effect is the heating of car by sunlight passing through the windshield.

Earth reflects about 30% of the radiation and the remaining 70% is absorbed, which results in heating the earth’s surface and atmosphere.