Obstacles in Delegation process:
These difficulties may be grouped in two categories.
On the part of superior:
- Lack of confidence in subordinate:-Superior will not delegate his authority in case he is not confident about ability and capacity of subordinate to take the decision by his own.
- Fear of competition: –In delegation of authority subordinate learns to take decision and manager may start feeling fear of competition from subordinate. Due to this he will not delegate his authority.
- Love to authority: –A superior will not delegate his rights if he is an autocrat. They want to show their importance in organization and want subordinates come frequently to him to get the decision approved by him.
- Feeling of perfectionism: –Some superiors feel that they himself can do the job in better way and do not delegate the authority.
On the part of subordinate:
- Dependence of the Boss:- when a subordinate finds it easy to ask the boss for any decision for executing any task he may avoid to accept the authority.
- Fear of Criticism:-If a subordinate fears that he will be criticized even for small mistakes or undesired results he may avoid accepting the authority.
- Lack of Confidence: –Lack of confidence in subordinate about his decision making ability is another major obstacle in delegation process.
- Lack of Positive Incentives:-A subordinate may unwilling to accept authority if he does not get any incentive in form of any pay increase or promotion or personal recognition for his good work
Corrective Measures to Overcome the Obstacle in Delegation Process:
Defining the assignments:- The work of every person should be clarify properly and he should be given proper authority to complete the work. The result expected from them should be made clear.
Proper selection of the person:- The selection of the person should be done properly, only capable and related person having qualification and skill required to complete the job should be given the task.
Establishing proper control:- The performance of executive should be checked regularly to verify that work is going as per the plans Control system in delegation process should be made such that executive remain free from routine matter yet enable him to maintain his accountability.. He should be informed about the framed standards. He should be informed about the cost of his work done and should aware of keeping control over cost of his work.
Proper communication: – There should be proper communication between the superior and subordinate. Superior must give clear instructions and must allow subordinate to seek clarification and guidance regarding the given task if having any problems.
Rewards for Performers: – there should be rewards for the effective and successfully done work by the subordinates. The manger should take care of the good performers and give them proper incentives to improve their performance in future also.
Establishing conducive environment:- An organization climate free from the fear and accompanied with job security will give better results when work is delegated. Conducive environment will help the subordinated to do the work in right manner support from superiors motivate him to perform well.